This week I have seen two incredible teams produce some amazing results while at the same time I watched one team member send her team into a tailspin of low productivity. I have learned in thirty years of working in the helping trades, that nothing of real size and consequence ever gets built without teamwork. Most people cherish the good teams they have been fortunate to be a part of but are usually unaware of how those teams were created. But what if you need to create a team and you wanted it to be above average? How would you do it? I must admit that my experience as a leader has been sporadic in creating good teams, but I have always been studying and seeking more information on this vital issue.
Here’s a list of ideas that I’ve gathered about creating effective teams:
- Know your purpose,-if you are building a boat, you don’t need aircraft mechanics.
- Know your weaknesses and build your team to overcome them
- Go after the best players- talent always trumps personality or enthusiasm.
- Reward excellence in every way possible, but especially with praise
- Correct poor performance or remove the player who is weak as soon as possible.
- Decide you want to play in the big leagues and let your team know it.
- Let your players play to their strengths and hire out the grunt work.
- Always be on the lookout for fresh talent, no team stays the same forever.
You may have some better ideas, if so please share them with me.
Do remember this though; life is a team sport and the people who accomplish the most in life work at building strong teams. Get busy today purposefully building your team.